"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
~ George Bernard Shaw

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Murphy's Law

According to Murphy's Law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. I joke that my life pretty much follows this law and there are some days when I can't help but curse Mr. Murphy for creating such an inconvenient law. My life seems to constantly take unexpected twists and turns, nothing goes smoothly, and on a day to day basis lots of things go wrong.

Today was one of those days that is a perfect example of Murphy's Law. I could go on for at least a good thirty minutes about everything but all I will say is that from the minute I woke up everything that could go wrong did go wrong. It was enough to make me fairly grumpy and to top everything off I locked my keys in my car. I've never done that before and I give my friends a really hard time whenever they do (is there a law about karma coming back to bit you in the butt??).

As my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day drew to an end, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to consider waking up in the morning. Then I went on a walk with one of my best friends and we talked about everything that had happened today. We were enjoying the cool air, the stars, the conversation, and the escape from the things that were bugging us. This made me realized something important. I can choose whether to focus on the "Murphy's Law" part of my day or look for the good - like spending time with a dear friend.

And you know what I decided! In the grand scheme of things even my bad days really aren't that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment